We have 55 guests and no members online

search

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: MIDI control for Ginsing

MIDI control for Ginsing 1 year 4 weeks ago #880

Hello,

I'm a great fan of Ginsing, but have no experiences in writing a code. Have in mind to create a midi-controller-box for Ginsing to change parameters via pots and switches remote
(as it is possible inside tweaker).

How could I make an approach to this goal?

Would it be for instance be possible to achieve MIDI-control inside Tweaker or the Soundgin-application?

Thanks in advance.

Horst
The administrator has disabled public write access.

MIDI control for Ginsing 1 year 3 weeks ago #881

Hello Horst.

Do you mean to use MIDI as a means of transmitting pot and switch data only?
The reason I ask is because Tweaker uses simple serial port commands that has less overhead, but no standard protocol. If you might be using pots and controllers that already have MIDI interfaces that would be possible but you'd have to build a MIDI circuit on the Arduino and then parse the MIDI data looking for specific MIDI data. If you are using pots and switches that are not using MIDI there may be other ways that would be easier to implement.
The following user(s) said Thank You: willi057

MIDI control for Ginsing 1 year 3 days ago #882

Hello Admin,

thanks for your answer. Sorry for my delayed one. Got my hands on several projects. Yes, want to put a MIDI-shield onto the Ginsing and plug in a midicontroller, playing notes with the keys. I want to advise too, a MIDI-controller with knobs and faders, so I could change the sound on the fly (filter, waveform, release, attack ...).
Would this be possible?
Could you give a concrete code-example, how it would look like:

Midi CC20 controls release of oscillator 1

I'm a totally code-newbie.

greetings from Germany

Horst
The following user(s) said Thank You: administrator

MIDI control for Ginsing 1 year 2 days ago #883

Hi Horst, its sounds like a fun project! Unfortunately I have not tried this, but it should be possible. I would think you could do it in two phases. First, write the Arduino code to process the MIDI data in a way you can parse it (perhaps to start using simple print statements), then translate the translated commands into GinSing library API calls, similar to what the sample code does, only trigger/release/ADSR from MIDI inputs. You could do the first phase with just the MIDI shield to make sure it all works, then add the GinSing shield to ensure communications are still good. By default the GinSing board uses the hardware serial pins (2,3,4) that might be used by the MIDI shield, but you can easily change the jumpers and the initialization call to the GinSing library to move it to unused pins ( i.e. 9/10/11).

One good reference I can recommend is the boot "Arduino for musicians", by Brent Edstrom.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds