online now

We have 84 guests and no members online

search

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Urgent need for help

Urgent need for help 3 years 11 months ago #413

I decided on building the AirMonica for my final project for my Microprocessor class, and just finished all the soldering yesterday (amateur solderer, so it took the entire class period, by the end of which I only had time to check if the Arduino Uno and ProtoShield were working [which they were]).

Also, I got the final piece I needed for the ProtoShield (solderless breadboard) after I got home from class so I decided I'd finally stack everything up and start downloading the programs/coding. The Arduino Uno worked fine, and I was able to get the basic LED test working no problem. Then I decided to add on the GinSing, and that's what I've been trying to get working for the last 6.5 hours.

The problem I'm having with it is two fold; 1) It will not output any sound from the examples provided with the download and 2) the LED will not light up. I've tried numerous combinations to at least get the LED lit which I had about 2 seconds of success when I detached the two boards and bridged a wire from the Arduinos 5V output to the GinSing's corresponding output, but while I was doing so the LED would not stay lit continuously, it was more sporadic depending on how far the wire was or wasn't inserted.

I've checked the soldering numerous times, and I'm pretty sure nothing is shorted
and there are no gaps, and the only thing I can think is that possibly I burned the card (though I don't see anything devastating when inspecting the soldering job).

Lastly, when I run the basic example through Arduino it sometimes gives some sort of sync error (can not recall the error at the moment), and I have to unplug the usb and close and reopen the program to get it to display "Upload Complete".

I'll attach a picture of the soldering job and the front of the chip as well, so maybe the experts here can help point out if any error was made there. I'm a complete beginner when it comes to Arduino and MPUs in general, but this shouldn't be this difficult.

Thanks to anyone who takes their time to help me with this!

WP_000051.jpg

WP_000055.jpg

WP_000056.jpg

*Edit* I should also add that the only way I was able to get the Protoboard's LEDs to light up was by using a basic trainer in class. I was unable to make the Arduino power the J2 or J3 LEDs by itself. Since I'm new to this, I didn't know if it was because it was a fresh board so there was nothing programmed on it in order to tell the pins to transmit/receive, or whether something was defective with my headers.

*Double-Edit* Wait, can someone review my picture of the top and tell me what pins the jumpers are on? I opened the welcome example, realized it shouldn't have been playing if the last time I uploaded it it was to jumpers 2/3/4 and now it was 10/11/12. I think I mixed them up...?
Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by administrator.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Urgent need for help 3 years 11 months ago #414

Looking at your board you seem to have done a pretty good job on the soldering: nice going! It's a bit hard to tell and apologies if I'm wrong, but it looks as if you've only soldered the first and last pins of the headers. If so, then you need to solder them all, or at least those which are used by the GinSing board - you can use the schematic to check which ones, or just solder all the pins then you'll know you'll be OK. Intermittent contact with the unsoldered header pins would explain the symptoms you have. I'm sensitive to your problem because I had a similar issue: I was so keen to avoid excess solder on the headers some of my joints were poor and I had to remake them. Good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: administrator

Re: Urgent need for help 3 years 11 months ago #417

First of all, thank you for the compliment :D! Second of all, you just put me in a great mood, because that's exactly what I did. The instructions I was following recommending doing the ends first (for the sake of making it easier to line up the three boards when it was through, but I totally forgot about finishing the headers).

Thanks for the reply man, I was really about to call it quits, and I'm glad you were able to make that out from the picture.

Have a great evening bro, I will now as well!

Re: Urgent need for help 3 years 11 months ago #420

Update:

So I went ahead and soldered the rest of the heads, but I'm still having issues with the GinSing not outputting any sound (besides slight buzzing when turned up all of the way). I've tried soldering an extra 8 ohm speaker I had from a previous project to the speaker output first and testing it with that to no avail, so I decided the speaker was probably bad.

One symptom I'm seeing that I am not sure is normal is not is that the LED only turns on when I first plug in the Arduino to a power source (something it wasn't doing before which is good, and I think I remember reading it's supposed to only light when outputting sound), but it never lights after uploading any examples through the Arduino software. I've followed the guide on the Airmonica and GinSings how-to multiple times and it seems like it should work.

Any other ideas?

*Edit* Just crapped my pants when I changed the jumpers over to 10, 11, and 12 and plugged it back in to hear it working (forgot volume was a bit up.) This is interesting, but working none the less.
Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by shoe7ess.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds