online now

We have 95 guests and no members online

search

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ummm...can't find Tweaker exe, sorry

Ummm...can't find Tweaker exe, sorry 4 years 5 days ago #388

Me again (I'll leave you in peace soon, promise). This is a really dumb question I know, but I can't find an executable Tweaker file. I extracted the 4.1 distribution (admittedly not to the desktop) and Ginsing, example sketches, PCLink etc all work fine. The setup guide tells me "On a PC, the program appears on the form of an executable file that you can simply double-click to launch." I have a Tweaker folder containing the folders 32bit, 64bit, lib and presets, and a bunch of files including GSTweak.jar and InstallWin.bat, but nothing executable as far as I can tell. I ran the batch file but still didn't get an exe file. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. Could some kind soul tell me what silly mistake I'm making? Thanks in advance.
Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by administrator.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Ummm...can't find Tweaker exe, sorry 4 years 5 days ago #389

No worries, Charlie - you're always welcome here. The Tweaker program is a Java program, so the is no Windows executable per se. There is a batch file that launches java, but in 99% of the cases you can just double click the java file and it should run fine.

Re: Ummm...can't find Tweaker exe, sorry 4 years 5 days ago #390

Thanks for the guidance - I thought it should be double-clickable too, but if I try this on the GSTweak.jar file 7-zip just opens the compressed folder and shows the contents - which is fair enough I guess as 7-zip is associated with jar files on my machine. But if I right-click on the jar file, select 'Open With' and then javaw.exe (in Arduino/java/bin), I get a 'Could not find the main class I:\arduino\tweaker\GSTweak.jar. Program will exit.' eror msg. Is there anything else I should try? Thanks.

Re: Ummm...can't find Tweaker exe, sorry 4 years 5 days ago #391

Can you open the batch file with notepad and see what command it wants to run? That might be something you can type into ah command window once you navigate to that directory.

Re: Ummm...can't find Tweaker exe, sorry 4 years 5 days ago #392

Thanks for this. I have good news and bad news. Good news: I can now run Tweaker! Turns out there's a known issue with running jar files as executables by double-clicking on them, especially in Win 7 64-bit. Long story, but the answer that worked for me was to download and run Jarfix: http://johann.loefflmann.net/en/software/jarfix/index.html. So now I can run Tweaker by double-clicking the jar file, yay!

The bad news: Tweaker can't find Ginsing on the selected port (COM6) after running PCLink and adding the 10uF capacitor. Looking at the topic 'GSTweak opens but cannot detect board' in the Software forum it looks like this may be a problem with Mega boards, but I don't think the issue was ever finally resolved in that thread. Any further updates/advice on this would be very welcome.

Re: Ummm...can't find Tweaker exe, sorry 4 years 4 days ago #393

My best guess would be that the comm port is either already busy or locked. One of the things that the installation script does is change the port privileges to allow r/w access via the RXTX library in Java; perhaps this has failed for some reason.

To debug this, you should either be able to look at the system log file to see what errors Tweaker is sending to the command line, or you can run the file from the command line and see what it prints out. Unfortunately Tweaker itself attempts to initialize the port before the GUI so you don't see any errors through the interface itself in this case.

Re: Ummm...can't find Tweaker exe, sorry 4 years 4 days ago #394

Looks like you're on the money here. Running from the console I get:

Stable Library
=========================================
Native lib Version = RXTX-2.2-20081207 Cloudhopper Build rxtx.cloudhopper.net
Java lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
WARNING: RXTX Version mismatch
Jar version = RXTX-2.1-7
native lib Version = RXTX-2.2-20081207 Cloudhopper Build rxtx.cloudhopper.net
Invalid Response From Device [gnu.io.CommPortIdentifier@48c5186e] expected [118] got [-1]

I think this is the same issue that was raised in the 'GSTweak opens but cannot detect board' thread I referred to earlier. Well beyond my meagre capabilities to sort out though, so all suggestions welcome.

Re: Ummm...can't find Tweaker exe, sorry 4 years 4 days ago #395

Hmm, yes it appers that your version of Java's RXTX library is more current that the one built into Tweaker. If you google RXTX 2.1.7 you'll see a download link that you can use to install the matching version. I think you can have both versions installed without any problems so it should be an easy fix.

Re: Ummm...can't find Tweaker exe, sorry 4 years 3 days ago #396

Ah yes. Seems that the 2.1-7 libraries don't work on 64 bit machines sadly. And of course the recommended binaries for 64 bits are the ones I'm currently running... is this the end of the road?

Re: Ummm...can't find Tweaker exe, sorry 4 years 2 days ago #397

The GinSing distribution contains a 64 bit 2.1.7 lib. Do you see an rxtx folder in the tweaker folder? If so. You. Can,annually copy it. Into the tweaker directory and then run from there.

Re: Ummm...can't find Tweaker exe, sorry 4 years 2 days ago #398

Thanks for your persistance! Here's the directory listing:

Directory of I:\Arduino\GinSing\tweaker

13/11/2013 07:51 AM <DIR> .
13/11/2013 07:51 AM <DIR> ..
09/11/2013 04:22 PM 6,148 .DS_Store
13/11/2013 07:51 AM <DIR> 32bit
13/11/2013 07:51 AM <DIR> 64bit
13/11/2013 07:51 AM <DIR> GSTweak
09/11/2013 04:22 PM 580,369 GSTweak.jar
09/11/2013 04:22 PM 184 GSTweak.settings
09/11/2013 04:22 PM 521 InstallWin.bat
13/11/2013 07:51 AM <DIR> lib
09/11/2013 04:22 PM 234,008 librxtxSerial.jnilib
13/11/2013 07:51 AM <DIR> presets
09/11/2013 04:22 PM 1,874 README.TXT
09/11/2013 04:22 PM 129,536 rxtxSerial.dll
7 File(s) 952,640 bytes
7 Dir(s) 73,371,209,728 bytes free

I copied the rxtxSerial file shown above from the folder '64bit'. There was already a copy in the tweaker directory which I overwrote (I think the batch file copied over the rstxSerial dll when I first tried to install Tweaker). Unfortunately I still get the RXTX version mismatch error.

Re: Ummm...can't find Tweaker exe, sorry 4 years 1 day ago #399

We'll get this thing working eventually - sorry you/re having so much trouble. I think by default Java would look in the working directory unless your Java path variable is set, so my guess is some installation of Java has set the path to include the wrong version of the lib. It might be possible to examine your environment variables to see if this is the case, and if so add this path ahead of the offending one.

Re: Ummm...can't find Tweaker exe, sorry 4 years 1 day ago #400

Ah yes, the old environment variables... Long way out of my comfort zone here, but I had a crack at it. I added this to the Path variable, and to any others I could find which referenced the jre: I:\Arduino\GinSing\tweaker\;. So I ended up with the following variables:

Path - I:\Arduino\GinSing\tweaker\;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;c:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\Fusion Media Explorer\;c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\10.0\DLLShared\;c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\

CLASSPATH - I:\Arduino\GinSing\tweaker\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

QTJAVA - I:\Arduino\GinSing\tweaker\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

I may well be doing something entirely wrong here - in any case, I still get the same RXTX mismatch error. Hopefully we're a little further down the path (haha) now though...

Re: Ummm...can't find Tweaker exe, sorry 4 years 23 hours ago #401

That all seems fine to me. I wonder if you could find the actual location of the wrong rxtx file and simply rename it to see if it will revert to the one we want.

Re: Ummm...can't find Tweaker exe, sorry 4 years 22 hours ago #402

Yeah, I did try to track this file down a while back but no luck - I searched for rxtx in the file name. I guess possibly it's packed away somewhere in a compressed file so a file name search doesn't find it?

Re: Ummm...can't find Tweaker exe, sorry 4 years 21 hours ago #403

It should be a simple file. From the paths above, I would look here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\

Re: Ummm...can't find Tweaker exe, sorry 3 years 11 months ago #404

I had a good look round the nooks and crannies of my machine, and the only references to RXTX2.1-7 I could find were in the librxtxSerial.jnilib file, eg 'eventLoop: got interrupt RXTX-2.1-7 testRead() open failed testRead()'. Similarly, the only references to RXTX-2.2 were in the 64bit rxtx.Serial dll - 'eventLoop: got interrupt RXTX-2.2-20081207 Cloudhopper Build rxtx.cloudhopper.net //./ testRead() open failed testRead()'. So I'm wondering if Java is in fact finding the correct files but due to a port communication problem they're throwing those errors?

Re: Ummm...can't find Tweaker exe, sorry 3 years 11 months ago #405

Very odd. Thanks for digging so deep on this. When you say you found them in the librxtxSerial.jnlib file, are you referring to the ones in the Tweaker directory? That would really be bizarre..

Re: Ummm...can't find Tweaker exe, sorry 3 years 11 months ago #406

Yes. The references are in the code for librxtxSerial.jnilib and rxtx.Serial dll, both of which are in the Tweaker folder, nowhere else. So I tried running Tweaker on a 32 bit machine which generated this in the console:

Stable Library
=========================================
Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Java lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Invalid Response From Device [gnu.io.CommPortIdentifier@1a78071] expected [118] got [-1]

This would make sense as the the 32 bit dll doesn't contain references to the cloudhopper build. Sadly though Tweaker still didn't run.

So for the sake of completeness I got hold of a Uno and tried that. Of course, Tweaker ran fine first time on both the 32 and 64 bit machines. So in my hands at least it looks like Tweaker won't play with the Mega. Not a problem now as I'll just do the sound development work on the Uno. Thanks for all the detailed help - great customer service!
The following user(s) said Thank You: administrator

Re: Ummm...can't find Tweaker exe, sorry 3 years 11 months ago #407

Wow, I did not see that one coming. I'm not sure what decision branch would be made the code that could differentiate between the two Arduinos, but it must be something internal to the library. The mega uses an FTDI chip whereas the Uno does not, but I don't know how RXTX would be able to tell the difference. Apparently that assumption is just plain wrong.

In any case, thank you very much for your diligence in going down this road, the GinSing community at least knows now that the current implementation of Tweaker will not work on a Mega, and that is (hopefully) worth the effort in finding out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlie McF
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds